top of page
Image by Jaimie Harmsen


Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada facilitates the arrival of immigrants, provides protection to refugees, and offers programming to help newcomers settle in Canada. It also:

  • grants citizenship and

  • issues travel documents (such as passports) to Canadians.


Who can apply

To become a Canadian citizen, most applicants must

  • be a permanent resident

  • have lived in Canada for at least 3 out of the last 5 years (1,095 days)

  • have filed your taxes, if you need to

  • pass a citizenship test

  • prove your language skills in English or French

Other requirements may apply.

There are additional or different requirements if you are:

  • applying for a minor (under age 18)

  • a Canadian applying for your adopted child born outside Canada

  • a current or former Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) member applying under the fast-track process

  • a past Canadian citizen who want your Canadian citizenship back (including current and former CAF members)


Spouses of Canadian citizens

You don’t automatically become a citizen when you marry a Canadian.

If you’re the spouse of a Canadian citizen, you must meet the same requirements listed above (no exception).


Children and grandchildren of Canadian citizens

If you have a Canadian parent or grandparent, you may be a Canadian citizen.

  • See if you may be a Canadian citizen

  • To find out for sure, apply for a Canadian citizenship certificate


Permanent resident status

Regardless of your age, if you’re applying for citizenship, you must have permanent resident (PR) status in Canada.

This means you must not:

  • be under review for immigration or fraud reasons

  • be asked by Canadian officials to leave Canada (removal order)

  • have unfulfilled conditions related to your PR status, for example: medical screening

Before applying for citizenship, you should review the documents you received when you became a permanent resident to make sure you’re eligible.

You don’t need a valid PR card to apply for citizenship. You can apply with an expired PR card.

A better future can be built , we can help you ...

bottom of page