top of page
Young Business Owner


What is a Labour Market Impact Assessment?

A Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) is a document that an employer in Canada may need to get before hiring a foreign worker.

A positive LMIA will show that there is a need for a foreign worker to fill the job. It will also show that no Canadian worker or permanent resident is available to do the job. A positive LMIA is sometimes called a confirmation letter.

If the employer needs an LMIA, they must apply for one.

Once an employer gets the LMIA, the worker can apply for a work permit.

To apply for a work permit, a worker needs

  • a job offer letter

  • a contract

  • a copy of the LMIA, and

  • the LMIA number

Who can apply for an open work permit?

You may be eligible for an open work permit if you

  • are an international student who graduated from a designated learning institution and are eligible for the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program

  • are a student who’s no longer able to meet the costs of your studies (destitute student)

  • have an employer-specific work permit and are being abused or at risk of being abused in relation to your job in Canada

  • applied for permanent residence in Canada

  • are a dependent family member of someone who applied for permanent residence

  • are the spouse or common-law partner of a skilled worker or international student

  • are the spouse or common-law partner of an applicant of the Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program

  • are a refugee, refugee claimant, protected person or their family member

  • are under an unenforceable removal order

  • are a temporary resident permit holder

  • are a young worker participating in special programs

In each of these situations, you must meet additional criteria to be eligible.

A better future can be built , we can help you ...

bottom of page