top of page
Image by javier trueba

Study Permit

The study permit is a document we issue that allows foreign nationals to study at designated learning institutions (DLIs) in Canada. Most foreign nationals need a study permit to study in Canada. Make sure you have all the documents you need before you apply. You should apply before you travel to Canada.

Your study permit is not a visa. It doesn’t let you enter Canada. You may also need a visitor visa or an electronic travel authorization (eTA). If we approve your study permit, we’ll issue one to you with your study permit.


Eligibility requirements

You can come to Canada to study if you

  • qualify as a fully vaccinated traveller

    • If you’re under 18, you don’t have to be fully vaccinated. You do need to study at a designated learning institution (DLI) with an approved COVID-19 readiness plan.

  • are enrolled at a DLI

  • prove you have enough money to pay for

    • your tuition fees

    • living expenses for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada and

    • return transportation for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada

  • obey the law, have no criminal record and get a police certificate (if required)

  • are in good health and get a medical exam (if required) and

  • prove to an officer that you will leave Canada when your study permit expires


Your responsibilities

While studying in Canada you must:

  • make progress towards completing your program

  • respect any conditions listed on your study permit and

  • stop studying if you no longer meet the requirements

Depending on your case, there may be conditions on your study permit such as

  • if you’re allowed to work in Canada

  • if you’re allowed to travel within Canada

  • the specific date you must leave Canada

  • where you can study (a specific DLI listed on your permit) and

    • You can’t study at a DLI other than the one listed on your permit.

  • whether you need an immigration medical examination

A better future can be built , we can help you ...

bottom of page